Five Nollywood Movies That Won!
1) Wedding Party: On the top of our list we have the Wedding Party, this movie is produced by ELFIKE Film Collective and directed by Kemi Adetiba. The ELFIKE Film Collective is a partnership of moviemakers in Nigeria: EbonyLife Films, FilmOne Distribution, Inkblot Productions and Koga Studios, respectively. The Wedding party follows the shenanigans that go on during the planning of a wedding in Nigeria. Dunni, a 24 year old art gallery owner and only daughter of her parents, Engineer Bamidele and Mrs Tinuade Coker, is about to marry the love of her life, IT entrepreneur Dozie, the handsome son of Chief Felix and Lady Obianuju Onwuka. The couple decided to refrain from sexual intercourse and are looking forward to an amazing first night as a married couple. A lot of unplanned events occur that makes us wonder if the couple will get through their wedding reception unhurt. The cast of the movie include Adesua Etomi ,Banky Wellington, Richard Mofe Damijo, Sola Sobowale,Iretiola Doyle, AlibabaAkporobome, Zainab Balogun, Enyinna NwigweSomkele, Iyamah-Idhalama,Beverly Naya, Daniella Down, AY Makun
This movie breaks box-office record, makes 200million in 16days
2) 76: On our list we also the movie 76, this movie was directed by Adonaija Owiriwa and Izu Ojukwu and directed by Izu Ojukwu. This movie is a historical fiction drama which tells us of a young pregnant woman and her husband, a soldier accused of being involved in the 1976 military coup and assassination of General Murtala Mohammed the Head Of State of Nigeria. 76 was shot in Ibadan, Oyo and was in production for about 5 years. The movie stars Ramsey Noah, Chidi Mokeme, Rita Domnic, Daniel K Daniel, Ibinabo Fiberesima, Memory Savanhu, Adonai Owiruwa, Pat Nebo, Nelly Ekwereogu, Shuaibu Ebenesi Adams, Debo Oguns.
3) 93 Days: 93 days is the first ever movie on Ebola that was inspired by the Ebola crisis directed and co-produced by Steve Guaks. The movie stars Bimbo Akintola, Bimbo Manuel, Charles Okafor, Danny Glover, Gideon Okeke, Keppy young Bassey, Somkele Idhalama, Tim Reid, Sola Oyebade, Charles Etubiebi, Seun Kentebe and Alastair Mackenize. This movie portrays Nigeria in a good light and shows how the country contained the Ebola pandemic.
The inspiring movie was dedicated to Ameyo Adadevoh, the doctor who quickly realized that there was more to the diplomat’s case than just malaria. 93 days is the only Nollywood to premiere at the Chicago international film festival.
4) Arbitration: This movie made our list because it is a well scripted movie and the performances in the movie is nothing but amazing. Arbitration is a romantic drama film written by Chinaza Omuzo directed by Niyi Akinmoloyan, produced by Chinaza Omuzo , Omotayo Adeola and Zulu Oyibo. The movie also stars some of the best there is in the industry O.C Ukeje, Somkele Idhalama, Iretiola Doyle, Beverly Naya, Sola Fosudo and a lot more.
This movie is a must see for everyone not just cause it’s interesting but it offers a lot of intelligent conversations.
5) Something Wicked: The psychology drama bagged six (6) awards at the best of Nollywood awards, amazing right? The award winning movie was produced by Isioma Osaje, Okey Uzoeshi and Morafa and it features some of the biggest names in the industry like Gabriel Afolayan, Adesua Etomi, Okey Uzoeshi, Iretiola Doyle,Timini Egbuson, Keira Hewatch, Ivie Okujaye Egboh and a lot of amazing stars.
Something Wicked tells the story of a widow who takes in her recently orphaned parents after the murder of his parents.
Author: Folayemi Ogunmakin